(NB: The health professional can go to the chapter : "The Nap", SCP (Summary of the Product’s Characteristics), published in the "DiDal Pro-smg"") dictionnary.
- IDENTIFICATION OF THE SOMNICATION :
The nap is usually made of "light slow wave sleep". In pratice, that matches a relatively watchful sleep in which it is not abnormal to hear some exterior noises.
(Caution : sometimes, that light sleep is almost imperceptible : one must beware not to dangerously extend the nap’s duration if he/she thinks (wrongly) that he/she was not asleep.) .
- PHARMACEUTICAL FORM.
To be used for periods which duration may change ; from 15 minutes to around 3 hours.
- PHARMACEUTICAL AND THERAPEUTIC CLASS.
Sleepiness inhibitors. (N : nervous system)
- NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE COMPANY.
The nap is under free licence, actively supported by the French Society of Sleep Research and Medicine.
- NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE PRODUCER.
Chance and necessity...
- IN WHICH CASES SHALL THIS SOMNICATION BE USED :
The somnication is recommended for the curative treatment of daytime sleepiness :
THE NAP IS AN EMERGENCY IN CASE OF SLEEPINESS BEHIND THE WHEEL
- related to a chronic or acute sleep deprivation;
- secondary to another current illness;
- of the night or shift worker;
- of the transatlantic traveller (jet lag);
- in the child under eight years of age;
- occasionally (New Year or Christmas Eve, marriage ...).
- A true emergency
- CONTRA-INDICATIONS : IN WHICH CASES SHALL THIS SOMNICATION NOT BE USED :
The somnication MUST NOT BE USED in following circumstances:
- Tiredness : You are tired if you wake up very low, physically (a.o. with a headache) and you are compelled to rest during the day.
- Insomnia : You are insomniac if you fear not to find sleep when you go to bed, or you are disappointed when you wake up too early in the morning. .
- Short sleeper : You are a short sleeper if you disliked the nap from very early childhood on (in the nursery, in kindergarden, in summer camp ...) and it takes you hours to fall asleep in the evenings, if you have an exceptional nap during the day.
In case of doubt, do not hesitate to ask for YOUR DOCTOR’S ADVICE.
- SPECIAL WARNING :
When it is imposed to the child who is not sleepy, the nap may contribute to build up a chronic insomnia in adulthood.
- PRECAUTION FOR USE :
Be careful using that somnication in case of fragile sleep, fibromyalgia and in the old person. In case of doubt, do not hesitate to ask your doctor’s or pharmacist’s advice.
- INTERACTIONS :
In order to avoid possible interactions between a somnication and other medications, any other treatment (Lexomil°, coffee, alcohol) should be reported to your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY, BREAST-FEEDING:
The nap can, sometimes, be of great interrest in some particular situations.
In a general manner, self-medication should be avoided during pregnancy or breast-feeding. Always ask your doctor’s or pharmacist’s opinion.
- HOW TO USE THIS MEDICATION :
As a general rule, the nap must not be too long or occur too late.
- chronic sleep deprivation :15 mn.
- the day after a sleepless night : 30 à 45 mn at most !
- as an anticipation of a late night party, a marriage : 1h30.
- night work : 2 to 3h
- ADMINISTRATION MODE :
- sleep debt : 15 to 45 mn in the start of the afternoon.
- less than 2 years old child child : 60 mn in the morning, 60 mn in the start of the afternoon.
- less than 5 years old child : suggest 45 mn in the start of the afternoon.
- night work : the best rhythm seems to be two naps (lasting from 3 to 4 hours each) before and after lunch.
- jet lag : see a specialist one month before the trip.
- TREATMENT DURATION :
As a general rule, the nap must be occasional and according to circumstances.
- One can choose to take it "on demand" under the condition that its side effects and precautions of use are known well.
- In the child, the nap can be useful and pleasant until 8-10 years.
In nursery school and at school, it should be suggested but never imposed.
- UNWANTED AND BOTHERING SIDE EFFECTS :
Like all active drugs, this somnication can lead to more or less bothering effects in some people.
- sleep onset delay in the evening or nocturnal arousals;
- sleepdrunkenness or feeling confused during a couple of minutes when waking up;
have been reported.
- Some migraines are favoured by the nap ;
- Very rare : disorientation with automatic psychomotor behaviour (which can have dramatic medical (accidents) and legal consequences : Elpenor syndrome, "sexsomnias"). 
- OVERDOSAGE :
A too long nap carries with it a sleep onset insomnia with too early arousals.
- PRESERVATION :
A room must be kept dark, fresh and calm to practice the nap (sic).
- LAST UPDATE :
All in all
The good sleeper is the one who goes to sleep trustfully and wakes up fit and healthy.
There is nearly no "norm" in that field, except that the human species is genetically programmed to live during the day and sleep during the night according to a rhythm of 24 hours which is submitted to the influence of external synchronizers.
A perfect knowledge of the nap and other "somnications" user instructions is required to respond to the challenges imposed by modern life.
 In fact, you are insomniac because you are tired and sleep doesn’t bring you rest. The nap counters sleepiness but aggravates tiredness.
Back to text
 Elpenor, one of Ulysses’ companions in the Odyssey, killed his best friend during an episode of confusion which occured when he woke up after a recovery nap following a battle, according to the legend... but, in other writers’s opinion, he was the victim of his own confusion at arousal and killed himself when he fell from a terrace.
That state of semi-consciousness is likely to favour the occurence of criminal acts. It might be the cause of murders or rapes during which their author was asleep (Cf."sexsomnias").
The Elpenor syndrome is probably the cause of some accidents due to driving in the opposite direction on the motorway.
NB: Apart from favouring factors (sleeping pills +++, alcohol, sleep deprivation), waking up confused is a sign of hypersomnia.
Back to text