The sleep-wake diary offers a synthetic view over the rhythm of rest and activity, as well as sleep-related events.
Analyzing it helps to understand the ways to naturally reestablish the balance of the sleep clocks and to measure the progress of the results.
The sleep-wake diary is designed to collect a synthetic view over your activity and rest rhythm as well as the events linked to your sleep.
Instructions for the sleep-wake diary
Clic on the link to download a sleep-wake diary and the user’s manual in a Pdf format.
- Smg° sleep-wake diary
You must try to regularly fill out your sleep-wake diary, in the mornings and in the evenings.
Analyzing your observations will help you to understand the best ways to naturally reestablish the balance of your sleep clocks (Cf. "Understand before acting.
You can also use this tool to measure the progress of your results.
NB. These changes will only be possible if you find out what kind of sleeper you are and if you review and probably change some of your beliefs regarding sleep and your performances. (Cf. "words from insomniacs")
For every night :
- First, write down the course of your night in the hour cases :
- The accurate hour of your bedtime with a vertical downward arrow : «»
- The accurate hour of your getting up with a vertical upward arrow : «»
- Then hatch the periods of the night for which you think that you have been asleep : /////////////
- Periods of doze or uncertainty are to be shown with dotted lines: «:::::::::::: »
- Leave empty the possible sleepless periods and show with arrows if you get up and at what time you go back to sleep.
- Other events should be clarified with a couple of codes :
- Lights off and brief sleep interruptions should be signaled with vertical lines «I»
- Induced awakening must be distinguished from spontaneous awakening with a "foot" under the line «إ»
- A dot: «●» if you go to the bathroom..
- A triangle : «» if you feel bad. (restless legs, pain, palpitations, anxiety, panic...)
- A circle : «O» for dreams or other possible parasomnias (sleepwalking, night terrors, paralysis ...)
- At last, you can use the «night» column to fill in a mark of satisfaction /10 for your night.
During the day :
It is very important to observe as well the «diurnal side» of your sleep-wake rhythm :
- Do you have to lie down in periods? (to sleep or to rest ?)
Like you did for the night, fill in your position (lying down « » or up « ») and, if you sleep during your possible naps, please write it down : (////////////).
- Do you yawn, do you feel sleepy during the day ?
Please use a couple of exclamation marks «!!!» to report periods of sleepiness (where you feel you are starting to fall asleep : the head falling at some moments, tears in the eyes) : while you are reading, in front of TV, in the bus...?
- Do you feel sick sometimes, or do you grow tired suddenly ? Use a triangle « ∆ » if you feel one of those.
- Please write down other events : (sport «S» , physiotherapist «P», meal «M» and so on,
Use the «comments» space :
To clarify some circumstances linked to the events of your diary .
- For example, for a change of schedule, fill in a single word : «holidays», «going out», «sick child», «journey», «thunder storm», etc...)
- Please also indicate the possible intake of sedative (or other) unusual medications.
- It may also be useful to imagine other codes ...